Saturday, October 2, 2010

White Chocolate and Cherry Brownies

I have a love-hate relationship with white chocolate. I refer to it as fake white crap as in it's not real chocolate, containing no cocoa mass. But occasionally I crave it because dark chocolate is too rich and milk chocolate is too sweet (ironic?). I can eat a small piece of white chocolate, and every piece after that causes toothache. I had to make these blondies though because I love cherries and I was craving white chocolate.


This recipe is called 'Cherry Blondies', but blondies are made with brown sugar and no chocolate. I'd rather call them more accurately, white chocolate brownies. I used a drained jar of Morello cherries instead of fresh cherries, which added sourness against the sweet of the chocolate.


These white chocolate brownies were really nice. Chewy and sweet, without a strong tooth-aching white chocolate taste. The cherries were juicy and paired well with the brownie. They were so easy to make and I plan on making them for a few friends in the future.



Recipe

Obtained here, modified

Makes around 16

100g butter, chopped

180g white chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup drained Morello cherries
Icing sugar, to dust


1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm x 22cm square pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides. Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted.

2. Add sugar, eggs and flours to bowl. Stir to combine. Spread into prepared pan (mixture will be thick and may appear split). Press cherries into mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are firm and top golden. Cool in pan. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. So you finaly made what you wanted to make! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete