Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pancakes

Lately I have realised that I do not eat a very traditional breakfast. People I know eat cereal and bread. I am fortunate enough to have my grandparents living with me, so each morning my grandma makes rice for me. That's right, rice breakfast and dinner. But sometimes I get cravings for more western breakfasts. When I was younger I would occasionally surprise my parents by making breakfast for them. I would fry eggs and bacon, and make toast. While I love savoury breakfasts, it's always good to have a sugar hit first thing in the morning.


This recipe is from Taste, and is fairly basic recipe as far as pancakes go, though there is a recipe for 'Super Fluffy Pancakes' in one of my cookbooks I want to try. I was never really picky about my pancakes. To be honest, I only had pancakes made from those pancake-mixes which come in jugs. Come to think of it, it's he first time I've made pancakes from scratch.


I like my pancakes plain, but some adornments never hurt anybody.


Recipe

Obtained here

Makes around 12

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
2 tbs caster sugar
2 1/3 cups (580ml) milk
80g butter, melted, cooled
1 egg, lightly whisked
Extra melted butter


1. Sift flour into a bowl. Add sugar and stir well. Add milk, butter and egg. Whisk until well combined.


2. Brush two small non-stick frying pans with a little of the extra melted butter. Heat over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup of mixture to each pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface. Carefully turn over and cook fro 1 minute.

3. Transfer pancakes to a plate and wrap loosely in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing pan between each batch. If you find the pan is getting too hot, reduce heat slightly.

4. Serve pancakes.

2 comments:

  1. HI DAIMING :D,lol
    from joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daiming, i've been hit in the face by a pancake and i can tell you they can hurt people.

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete