Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Caramelised Onion and Mozzarella Omelette
Serves 2 (or 1 hungry person)
Half a medium onion, sliced thinly (any type of onion works fine)
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
2 tbsp warm water
Small handful or mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat in a large nonstick frying pan. Tip in the onions and cook until just starting to wilt.
2. Once the onions are fairly browned you may wish deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar (this gives a more complex flavour). Turn the heat down to very low and cook, stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, salt, pepper and water in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
4. When the onions have wilted down, pour in the rest of the oil. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the cooked egg on the sides into the middle, allowing the uncooked eggs to take its place. Do this for 30 seconds, to achieve a light texture.
5. When the omelette is almost cooked through, sprinkle on the cheese. Once the egg on top is just cooked, use a spatula to lift up one side of the omelette and flip it over. Remove from heat and slide onto a plate. Serve.