Monday, August 9, 2010

Chicken and Corn Soup

Whenever I go to an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet, there will always be Chicken and Corn Soup. I always loved this soup, but knew it contained many preservatives and artificial flavours. I was browsing through a cookbook, when I found a recipe for Chicken and Corn Soup, so I decided to try it out.


I realised, after I had started, that I did not have enough chicken stock, so I made up the volume with chicken broth, which has less gelatine, but still has good chicken flavour. Make sure you do not do what I did and mix one tablespoon of cornflour with 3 tablespoons water, when you're supposed to mix 3 tablespoons of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water. This caused the soup to be very thin, when the desired consistency is very thick.


Despite the soup being thin, I still loved this. I will definitely be making this again.


Recipe

Obtained from The Basics: A Really Useful Cookbook by Anthony Telford

Serves 6-8

250 g chicken breast, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced ginger
100 ml Shaoxing rice wine
1½ litres chicken stock
1 x 400 g tin creamed corn or 400 g fresh corn kernels, blanched in boiling water and blended
1 teaspoon salt flakes
3 tablespoons cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Finely chopped spring onion, to garnish


1. Mix the chicken, ginger and rice wine in a bowl and set aside.

2. In a pot, bring the chicken stock, corn and salt to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the chicken mixture and stir well.

3. Mix the cornflour with just enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Stir the cornflour paste into the simmering soup, bring back to the boil and remove from the heat.

4. Stir in the egg whites then add the sesame oil.

5. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of spring onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment