Thursday, August 26, 2010

Morello Cherry Clafoutis

I wanted to use the oval ramekins I got with my blowtorch, and cherries were on my mind so I decided to make cherry clafoutis. Clafoutis is traditionally unpitted cherries baked with a crepe batter. The pits that are left in gives of an almond flavour.


It's still Winter here, so cherries aren't in season. I decided to use jarred pitted Morello cherries. I put too many cherries into the dish before adding the batter, so the result was more sour than I would have preferred.


Cherries are one of my favourite fruits, so I enjoyed this a lot. I look forward to Summer when I can make this with fresh cherries.


Recipe

Obtained here

Serves 4

2/3 cup undrained Morello cherries

Whipped cream, to serve
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (I used 1/2 tsp vanilla essence)
2 tbs brandy (I omitted)
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs plain flour
2 tbs self-raising flour
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup cream
40g butter, melted


1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 4 ovenproof dishes. Drain the cherries, reserving 2 tbs juice. Fold the cherry juice into the whipped cream cover and refrigerate.

2 Combine cherries, vanilla seeds and brandy in a small bowl; stand 5 minutes.

3 Combine sugar and flours in a bowl, make a well in the centre. Combine eggs, milk, cream and butter in a jug and pour into flour mixture whisking constantly until batter is smooth. Drain the cherries, pouring brandy mixture into batter.

4 Place cherries into prepared dishes; pour batter over cherries. Bake about 15-16 minutes or set. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment