Friday, September 24, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken and Soba Noodle Salad

I made this salad for myself when I had a friend over. It was flavoursome and refreshing. The soba noodles were light and the vegetables were crisp. I made my own teriyaki marinade, but I recommend using store-bought which has much more flavour.


The chicken breasts I marinaded for many hours, which enhanced the flavour. The soba noodles were very easy to cook, and not much different to pasta. I didn't have beansprouts so I left those out. I had some trouble when I cooked the chicken though because the pan I used was too hot. I ended up steaming the chicken to prevent the outside from burning and the inside remaining raw.


The combination was unbelievable. It was sweet and salty and cool. I will definitely be making this when I am feeling hungry.


Recipe

Obtained here

Serves 4

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

4 (150g each) chicken breast fillets
270g packet dried soba noodles
1 cucumber
1 large carrot, peeled
Canola oil cooking spray
1 small red capsicum, cut into 1cm-thick strips
2 cups beansprouts, trimmed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice


1. Place 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce in a shallow ceramic dish. Add chicken. Turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for 15 minutes (I refrigerated for a few hours).

2. Meanwhile, cook noodles in a saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Using a vegetable peeler, cut cucumber and carrot into long, thin ribbons. Place in a large bowl.

3. Spray a large frying pan with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Thinly slice. Add noodles, capsicum, beansprouts, onion and chicken to cucumber and carrot. Combine sesame oil, lemon juice and remaining teriyaki sauce in a jug. Pour over noodle mixture. Toss to combine. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment