Thursday, May 27, 2010

Guacamole

 While browsing through my copy of Simply Heaven, I remembered I had half a container of spreadable cream cheese leftover in the fridge. I began looking for a recipe which used spreadable cream cheese, and my eyes fell on Guacamole. I know it doesn't sound very exciting (even for those who know what it is), I was drawn more to the prawn fritters. Unfortunately I didn't have time to make the fritters, so I just made the Guacamole.


I realised, too late, that my avocados weren't very ripe. They were really hard and quite bland, but it was too late to turn back. Everything worked fine until I squeezed all the juice from a lemon into the mixture. It calls for one tablespoon, and somehow I think a whole lemon has much more juice. It tasted very sour, so I ended up adding another avocado. The coriander and lemon juice totally overpower the avocado taste, but, surprising, my family loved it. Instead of (unhealthy) chips or nachos, I ripped up some Lebanese bread and toasted them in my sandwich press. Within minutes they crisped up and tasted excellent dipped in the guacamole.


I know this is another short post, but I haven't gotten into the cooking groove recently. I am definitely in a muffin mood, though, so get ready for high-calorie, chocolate-packed recipes. Oh, and for the record, I bought the square bowl just for shooting the guacamole in. Yeah, that's how much I'm dedicated to foodography.


Recipe

Obtained from Simply Heaven, by Philadelphia

Makes about 1 cup

125 grams Philadelphia Spreadable Light Cream Cheese
1 avocado, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup chopped coriander
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Extra coriander for garnish


1. Combine the Philly, avocado, coriander, lemon rind, juice and seasonings. Spoon the dip into a serving bowl. Chill.

2. Garnish with coriander and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment