Thursday, May 20, 2010

Banana Bread

Rejoice! My exams are over! It's like a huge weight has been taken off me. Although I had exams, I still managed to make a really quick and simple Banana Bread. I was busy revising, so I only got one good shot before I had to go back, so this will be an extremely short post. Don't worry though, the next post will be completely full on. I'm thinking cheesecake... I'll tell you how it goes.


This recipe is from Taste. It is one of the most highly rated recipes on the site, so I decided to use it. It turned out fine, but a bit fry because I added toasted almonds without adjusting any wet or dry ingredients. Next time I add nuts, I shall reduce the flour. It tasted delicious, but if you slightly toast it after slicing - even better. Please note, the butter in the photo is only there for decoration purposes. We don't eat butter on bread, so that was scraped right off. For those who do eat butter on bread, please consider cream cheese spread, or ones made with olive or canola oil. Butter is extremely unhealthy if eaten regularly.

That was just a note on health I learnt a while back. Try this recipe if you have a few overripe bananas, and I'll be back with more goodies in a few days.


Recipe

Obtained here.

Makes 1 loaf.

Melted low-fat dairy spread, to grease
265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
140g (2/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) skim milk
2 eggs, lightly whisked
50g butter, melted, cooled
2 overripe medium bananas, mashed


1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with melted dairy spread to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.

2. Sift the combined flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Place the milk, eggs, melted butter and banana in a medium bowl, and stir until well combined. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment