Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chocolate Chip Muffins

I promised chocolate-packed, high-calorie recipes, and I deliver. I honestly have not eaten many muffins, and I don't know why, but one thing's for sure - these Chocolate Chip Muffins are the best muffins I have ever tasted.


This recipe is by Nigella Lawson, so I knew it was going to be good. She made this recipe in one of her TV shows, but in it, she added 1 3/4 cup of sugar. In the recipe I got from Foodnetwork, it says to use 3/4 cup of sugar - that's less than half of what she said. I only noticed this after I made the muffins though, so I couldn't do anything about it. Fortunately the sweetness was just right and everyone who tried them said they were delicious. Muffins are one of the easiest things to make - a dry mixture and a wet mixture combined together creates the muffin batter. Be sure not to over-mix though, as over-mixing causes the muffin to have a tough texture. The easiest way to fill muffin cases, I've found, is to use an ice-cream scoop that has those release lever... things. They are easy to scoop the right amount and release cleanly into the cases. But if you don't have one of those, don't worry, as two spoons work fine.


Notice the paper cases? I used them because I thought it would go well with the theme. These paper cases are called 'Tulip' muffin wraps or paper cases, and I originally planned on buying a packet, but the local shop wasn't in stock. I ended up making my own by simply cutting out squares and folding them. It was extremely tedious and I will reserve this time-consuming practise to muffin recipes who deserve it. I can safely say, though, that this recipe most definitely deserves it. A friends said it tasted like something from a café, which proves just how delicious they are.


If you try one of these muffins while they are still warm, you will find little pockets of molten chocolate suspended in the muffin. Let it cool to room temperature and these pockets harden into delightful chocolate chips. Everything about these muffins are wonderful, so if you are craving a chocolate hit, try these. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Make sure you use good quality chocolate chips (at least 35% cocoa) and good quality cocoa powder, and sprinkle a generous amount of extra chocolate chips over the top, because there is not such thing as too much chocolate.


Recipe

Obtained here.

Makes 12 muffins.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
3/4 cup superfine sugar (blitz granulated sugar in a food processor)
3/4 cup semisweet (dark) chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease or line a 12-hole muffin pan.

2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug.

3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases.

4. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your good recipe..i've tried this yesterday and they taste so delicious and we love them :)

    ReplyDelete