Friday, March 26, 2010
Coconut and Mango Ice Cream
Obtained from here.
Makes 1.5 litres.
300 mL cream
300 mL milk
400 mL coconut cream or milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
1 cup mango pieces/puree
1. Gently heat the cream, milk and coconut milk/cream in a heavy pan.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the yolks and the sugar in a bowl, until thick and pale.
3. When the milk mixture just boils, take off the heat.
4. While whisking constantly, pour the hot milk mixture about a tablespoon at a time into the egg yolks. Continue whisking until all the milk has been poured in.
5. Pour the egg mixture back into the heavy pan and heat on medium until the mixture reaches ~70°C. To test readiness without a thermometer: Coat the back of a spoon with the custard. Run your finger along the length of the spoon, and if the trail remains on the spoon, it is ready.
6. Refridgerate the mixture until completely cold.
7. Freeze per your ice cream machine's instructions. Five minutes before ready, tip in the mango pieces.