Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Apple Turnovers

Ugh! Global Warming... Hate it, hate it, hate it! I hate the fact that we are getting 30 degree days in Autumn, when there should be wind and cool weather. I also hate the fact that our school uniform is made of crappy material that air doesn't travel through, making me, and a whole lot of others, sweat all through the day. I definitely prefer cool windy days that go to as low as 15 degrees. This heat makes me grumpy. Absolutely grumpy.

Talking about Autumn, apples are officially in season. I prefer crisp, juicy apples, as opposed to those soft apples that make you wonder whether they're actually fresh or not. But when it comes to baking, I alsways use Granny Smith. They are so easily distinguished with the fully-green skin. I made a beeline for the apple section the other day and bought a few to make apple turnovers with.

There are many different types of turnover recipes out there. Ones that have sultanas and nuts, others with only apple. Some say to cook the apples first, but the recipe I always use does not. I was searching for an easy apple turnover recipe when I had leftover apples, some time ago, when I came across a recipe on Youtube. I realised that it was the most easiest recipe I had found, so I tried it out. Though I've never actually tried other turnovers, I stuck with this one. It hasn't failed me yet.



Because the recipe says to add 3 tablespoons of orange juice, I had a bit of cinnamony orangey syrup let at the bottom. When I first made it, I did not know any better, so I drizzled that over the filling before rolling it up. During baking, it managed to seep out and turn itself into a burnt caramelly mess that adhered itself to the turnovers. It wasn't only unsightly, it tasted gross. So after that, I always refrain the collective juices at the bottom.


I sprinkled white sugar on top of the egg wash and it contributed wonderfully. Some granules did not melt but that did not matter. It was great paired with the tartness of the apples. I could not get a good photo of a whole turnover because all the photos were blurry due to the crappy lighting.


Recipe

Obtained here.
Makes 8 turnovers

3 cooking apples (I used Granny Smith)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed at room temperature
1 egg
1 water or milk
Extra sugar, to sprinkle


1. Preheat oven to 200°C

2. Cut the puff pastry into 8 equal squares by making a cross in each sheet

3. Peel, core and chop the apples roughly into 1 centimetre cubes

4. Add orange juice and orange zest and stir to combine

5. Add the flour, sugar and cinnamon and mix thoroughly

6. Divide the mixture evenly among the puff pastry squares, making sure not to get much of the collective juices onto the squares

7. Fold each square over the filling, making a triangle. It may be necessary to remove a few pieces of apple.

8. Using a fork, crimp the two short edges of the triangle by pressing the twines onto them. Poke one set of holes on top the triangles to allow steam to escape

9. Whisk the egg and milk or water thoroughly, and brush liberally onto the turnovers.

10. Sprinkle liberally with sugar and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top

11. Take out of oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment